Home > Trip Reports > March 4, 2013, Rock-Howard-Mastiff traverse

March 4, 2013, Rock-Howard-Mastiff traverse

3/4/13
Posted by Forest McBrian on 3/5/13 11:29am
On Monday I skied from Rock Mountain trailhead to Merrit Lake trailhead on Highway 2. We found great coverage (skied from car to car) and brilliant skiing conditions. I recommend this tour unequivocally.

I'd never been to the area before, but was curious about the pointy peak I'd seen rising above the clouds near the end of a December Chiwaukum traverse some years back. Chris Simmons invited my wife Erin and I along, and we were excited to ski somewhere new. The itinerary is superb--a truly excellent ski tour. Skiable summits and great fall-line skiing! It could be a great two- or three-day tour, with lots of interesting lines to explore; but also makes a fine long day out.

We saw tracks of snowshoe hare, bobcat, and some biggish member of the weasel family, though my camera wouldn't take a picture of them. The views of the Chiwaukums, Lake Wenatchee, and the country north of Stevens Pass kept me interested all day.
This can't go another minute without a reply!  Way to go find it Erin, Chris, and Forest. Sounds like you had the shot at good snow on the variety of aspects, eh? 

I've always balked at the cumulative vertical of this one but I think it is time to try!  How about some pics?

Your TR's are always well written, and enticing to the average soul! This one is no less satisfying. I visited Rock long before I ever began as a ski tourere, and it's always seemed a great objective. For you, though, seeing it as a launching pad does not surprise me.

An obscure question: Were you able to see/identify Mt. David, North of Lake Wenatchee? That's a place I'd like to get into during the early summer months, and pretty sure doesn't see many ski tracks. Ski with you soon!!!

Reply to this TR

march-4-2013-rock-howard-mastiff-traverse
Forest McBrian
2013-03-05 19:29:25